Getting to know you Tuesday! - Flauxers


Good morning kids! Today's feature is Flauxers! I met this incredible girl during one late night chat, and we became fast friends. I absolutely adore all her products. At first, I thought she was a fellow flower photographer, as anything from her shop posted in the chats looked like professional flower photos - but it turned out that, nope! It was just pics of her creations with fake flowers. (so you know them there fake flowers look dang real!!)
So sit back, relax, and find out the wonderful person behind Flauxers! All pictures you see are directly linked to their listings on Etsy, so click away to find out all the details.



1. Let us know a bit about yourself.

Name: Tanya Hofford
Location: State College, PA


2. When did you start crafting? What/Who inspired you to become an artist? Do you do different crafts other than what you list on etsy?

I remember being really young and crafting with my Mom and Grandma. I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but I guess you can say it was in my "blood". I also used to make flower arrangements from anything I could find out in the back yard for my Mom - It's always been a passion and I'm so happy I'm making more than dandelion bouquets now! The artificial flowers idea came to me one day a few years ago, because I never had a really green thumb and I wanted to have my own flower shop. The jewelery, accessories and magnets were ideas I've had just since I've been on Etsy.
I actually do other crafts - like knitting, crocheting, and sewing. I'm still a novice, but enjoy all three of these activities. I'm actually in the process, and almost done, knitting a blanket for my nephew.



3. What was your sole purpose of opening up your shop?

As I stated above, I've wanted to open a flower shop for years, and I started my business, Flauxers, in June of 2008. I was looking for additional ways to get my products seen and purchased, when I stumbled upon Etsy, which has proven to be a great find!



4. How did you decide on a shop name?

My husband actually came up with the name. I was brainstorming for almost a month on a business name, and mentioned 3 or 4 ideas to him. Then he mentioned Flauxers.
Faux + Flowers = Flauxers (pronounced Flowers) He's such a creative and wonderful man!



5. What is your favourite item to create and why?

Hmmm... My favourite?? I actually really enjoy making all of them - I know it sounds a little crazy that I can't pick one, but they all allow me to play with flowers, and to make something that I really enjoy. I love my products so much that I've had to make replicas of some of them for myself! :)



6. What venues do you use to promote your work? Which ones are your favourite to use? Is there one that has been the most successful for you?

I use Facebook (http://facebook.com/Flauxers), Myspace (http://myspace.com/Flauxers), Twitter (http://twitter.com/Flauxers) and I have a Blog (http://Flauxers.blogspot.com). I'm still new to the blogging world and I don't update it as often as I feel I should. I'm still trying to get a hang of what goes into it and how to use it to it's best advantage. I seem to get a lot of exposure from Twitter and Facebook - I tend to update them more often than the other venues, as they've proven to send traffic my way!



7. Where do you hope to see yourself in 5 years concerning your crafting business?

I really hope that within 5 years it will be busy enough that I'm selling multiple products a day. In that time, I'll have been in business for a little over 6 years and will have all the kinks worked out of my processes, and hopefully have several new products to offer.



8. Is there any other information you'd like to share with us?

I would like to welcome everyone to visit my web page (http://www.Flauxers.com). There are many arrangements and items for sale there that are not listed in my Etsy shop. Also, I have a sale every month (I call them "Monthly Blooms") and they vary in amount and products on sale - this month is 20% off everything ordered from my website or my Etsy shop! Keep an eye out for the sale each month - as sometimes there will be donations made to a charity, or you could win something!
As far as advice to new Etsy sellers - be patient. Sales will come and sometimes it takes a while. If you ever want a little extra advertising or need a pick me up, head over to the Etsy chats. I've made some great friends on there and people in general are really nice. :)



9. Name a few of your favourite things!

When the dog bites, when the bee stings... oh sorry - that made me want to sing! :) Other than crafting, I really enjoy working with computers (I was actually a computer Networking Major in college), watching TV, talking to, and spending time with, family and friends, reading books in the Women's Murder Club series, or anything written my Neil Gaiman, and listening to music (Billy Joel, Jonathan Coulton and Barenaked Ladies are probably my 3 favourite bands/singers)



10. If you had a super power, what would it be, and why?

Is teleporting a super power??? I want to be able to get from one place to another in an instant, so I can make sure I spend as much time as possible with everyone I'm with, and accomplish so much more in my day!



And that wraps up my Getting to know you Tuesday Feature!! I hope you enjoyed meeting Tanya, and make sure to visit all her websites, become fans and followers, so you can continue gettin' to know this fantastic Etsian!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Dropping by from My Craft Corner...

She has such pretty things!!

This is a neat idea to feature etsians! I'm currently having a sale in my shop too!

http://spunkandsass.etsy.com

The Spunk & Sass blog: http://spunkandsassdesigns.blogspot.com

My personal blog:
http://valeriecesari.blogspot.com

Flauxers said...

Thank you so much for featuring my shop! :-D You're so sweet!!!

Amy said...

Aww, I love Flauxers- she is so sweet! Unfortunately, now I see I've been saying her name wrong in my head all this time! Oops!! Nice feature! :)

Wendance Designs said...

What a wonderful write-up about Flauxers!! Congrats goes to fabulous etsian!!

gengen said...

wow you did a good job featuring her. TC

Post a Comment

I dance a jig everytime someone comments!